So I created a plastic pom using strands of cut plastic table coverings. It worked out great because it matched the tables perfectly.
- Plastic table covering- the colored ones at a party store (or any type of thin plastic. you could even use strips of plastic bags)
- Twist ties or thin floral wire
- Staples and stapler
- Twine or string
- Cut strips of the plastic about 1 inch thick and between 4-6 feet long... depending on how thick you want your pom to be. The longer it is the thicker it will be. Thicker meaning the pom will have more poof in it. Make sense? I cut mine the length of the whole table cloth- 6 feet.
- Take each strip and wrap the whole thing back and forth around the width of your hand. This really depends on how big you want your pom to be. The wider the wrap, the bigger the pom. Sorry, don't have step by step photos of this.
- You should have rounds of plastic now around your fingers. Next, grab the middle of the plastic and tie it up with a twist tie or floral wire.
- It should look like a big bow (with numerous bows). Now, cut every loop on each end.
You can fluff and move it around to form more of a ball shaped puff.
Should look somewhat like this:
5. To attach them to a string to hang, simply staple a few strands of plastic, closest to the core of the pom, to the string. Like image.
That's it. Just hang it up and admire.
Tip: to take them down I pulled out the strings from the poms and stored them separately. If you leave it in it will become easily tangled. Theses poms are great because I just threw them in a plastic bag and they can be stored forever and reused in so many ways. It's not a high maintenance kind of decor.